Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's about the WHY

A couple of things happened this week that made me stop and think. Firstly this week has been one of those "what is it all about" weeks. You know I think it is one of those end of year things. I get eather reflective at this time. I think it's a way of setting up those new years resolutions that I will hopefully keep to this coming year. But enough for new years resoltions because I will try to devote a blog to that. All I can say is that the coming year will be one of change and transition. For the past 6 years i have been the primary carer of my girls and this coming year sees my youngest going to school. (jumps for Joy) This means that i will have more time to devote to other pursuits such as career and business and health. Something I have put aside for way too long.

I saw the film "The company men" with Ben Affleck and Tomme Lee Jones.


At the crux of this film was a business that hived off thousands of jobs during the GFC, good people were sacrificed to save a company's share price. The organisation had lost track of the actual reasons WHY the business started, it was about the People and the company lost focus on that. It makes me ponder some recent changes in a lot of businesses who appear to be doing the same thing where the bottom line is all important, not the goodwill and people that were the foundations of the organisation.

This was curiously just after i had watched "the Social Network" about the start of Facebook



I state this second as the portayalrayal of Mark Zuckerberg was far from flattering, rather more like an unemotional robot who took advantage of those around him. It made me investigate because when a film comes out you want to find more, find the truth.


I found an interview with Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg that was a good thing to watch following watching the film. The interview didn't touch the film.

I don't know him but I see him as a focused person, he IS Facebook, His passion is the social network he invented. In the interview he seemed very happy, yes he smiled rather a bit. During the interview it was mentioned about how he wouldn't sell out. Also how he likes to co-exist with google, youtube etc. rather than acquire or go out in competition.

One can't be in awe at his genius with what he has created. Whatever you think of him and his motivations. he does seem rather genuine in his motivations.

I suppose the WHY is based on how you measure success, why you are really there, in business.

I was also listening to 1233 ABC Newcastle and in a couple of discussions yeaterday firstly it was being discussed about businesses and shareholder value and how it is only a new concept, since the 80's. i know that when i worked in petrol stations the main focus was the staff, making sure
Heck i even remember when companies were making actual losses during the recession we had to have. Today Public companies cry foul whene they make less money than they made last year. Is it just greed?? I can see where the QANTAS employees are fould with their company. These guys showed their passion for the company, their love for the company but were upset with the level of increase in the paypacket of the CEO who received a huge percentage increase in his own paypacket.
The organisation has lost focus on why they are there.

I once worked in an organisations that had an acronym CARE-Customers Are Really Anything. This however presented itself as frequently running short on staff at registers, stock running out or not being able to be put out due to insufficient staff numbers, Department managers were frequently under the pump, they regularly pulled 14 hour days. Not really family friendly hours.
With this organisation there would be wind that the regional manager was coming so store management would put as many staff on the floor to get the store fully stocked and faced to make it look pristine. The managers would hover around the regional manager.

Straight after this visit the store would resume its' original understaffed state. I still wonder about the WHY of this organisation, but all i can say id one year the organisation made $700million profit, i said to  an ols timer that that was a good result. The Old timer said back to me, "no it's not because we will have to do better next year". I struggle at times to find out the WHY behind many companies other than Profit, money etc.

The second conversation was with the business centre talking about being a new businesses and trying to find the reason WHY you are insbusiness, the emotion that you are selling as a business. This is where I am left. i am in a very reflacive mood, trying to discover the emotion, my reason to why I am here, in business.

I suppose a lot of the WHY relates to to the old maslows Pyramid




I need security, the funds to be able to stand alone, that is where i need to head toward this coming year. Independance.

Next Blog is about my WHY

No comments:

Post a Comment